The Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, recently gave an update on the respiratory illness season. Key messages included:
• Vaccination remains the best defense against COVID-19 and influenza.
• People are encouraged to practice health awareness, including regularly checking themselves and their children for symptoms of respiratory illness, and to stay home when sick.
• Everyone should be washing hands regularly and practicing respiratory etiquette
• Masks should be worn if a person has mild symptoms of illness.
There are no changes to the Provincial Communicable Disease Guidelines for K-12 School Settings. Districts and schools are encouraged to remind everyone:
• to practice health awareness and to stay home when sick.
• that schools are supportive environments for mask wearing, and a person’s choice should be supported and respected.